Check out our list of exciting opportunities this week. They include funding for entrepreneurs, training opportunities, hackathon, photography and writing contests, and the list goes on. Dive in and apply for the one(s) you are up for.
The ProudlyMadeinAba Hackathon is launched to allow young entrepreneurs showcase ideas that could move the commercial city of Aba forward. Aba has been renowned globally as a key economy in furniture designs, garment works, fashion designs and shoemaking. Currently, there are about 10,000 businesses operating in the city.
However, since the city lacks proper infrastructure and investment to make it thrive, the hackathon seeks to find ideas that would help rejuvenate the commercial cluster and move it to the next level. 10 ideas will be shortlisted for a final presentation on the 16th of March in Aba. Only 3 winning ideas will emerge.
- Ideas must have an economic impact on businesses based in Aba.
- Ideas should be focused on one or all 3 focus areas: Leather, fashion/garment and fabrication.
- The winning idea must be executable in Aba which means participants must be open to relocating to the region.
- Ensure your idea is well thought through, giving details on the product, insights and strategy that will make the idea a success in Aba.
How to apply
To apply, submit your idea on the website. Deadline for submission of ideas is 26th February 2018
LearnFactory Nigeria Internship
As part of Learn Factory’s commitment to developing the tech ecosystem, especially in Southeast Nigeria, the hub is launching its internship program to select intelligent, focused, and committed individuals hungry to make a difference in tech. LearnFactory has 20 slots for the internship, spanning across 3 categories: software development, Graphics/UI/UX and animation in the ratio of 12:3:5.
- Built the following projects: Admin dashboard for E-commerce website and Instagram Page
- Animation/Graphics Interns: Project will be to logo design competition for LearnFactory ICE Club and LearnFactory Animation Studio.
- Available for full-time presence (9 am – 4 pm daily) for 12 – 24 weeks, depending on performance.
- Create an account on Gitlab.com. Ensure email used is the same as the one on this form. You will be added to LearnFactory Gitlab page.
- Upload your project work to your Gitlab account
How to apply
Interested applicants should apply via this online form. Application deadline is March 29, 2018.
Linda Ayade Literary Art Competition, 2018 (£2,500)
The abundance of writing talents, both in poetry and prose in the state cannot be denied, but the platform for these latent talents to have their say, and take the stage has been limited if not non-existent. Literature, as Cross Riverians have come to know it is a form of art which has its roots in Lagos and bears fruit in Akure, with some of its leaves sometimes making its way to Nsukka. Literature seems to be alien to Cross Riverians.
This competition, therefore, is a deliberate attempt to break the seeming centralisation of Nigerian literature at Lagos. “We believe this decentralization is essential to expanding the depth of the literature Nigeria produces and grow the understanding and appreciation of both poetry and prose by Cross Riverians and its residents”.
- The competition is open to all Cross Riverians (wherever they reside) and Cross River residents.
- The Content must be unique and indigenous.
How to apply
Techstars Atlanta Acceleration Program ($120,000)
Having made its debut investment in Nigeria’s FarmCrowdy, Techstars Atlanta has started receiving applications for this year’s Accelerator program in Atlanta with a chance to get $120,000 in funding and follow-up funding. The three-month program is designed to help startups gain traction through deep mentorship engagement, rapid iteration cycles, and fundraising preparation. or founders interested in this programme, Techstars Atlanta is providing an opportunity for interaction.
A Chance to interact with Techstars Atlanta leadership team
In line with this application call, FarmCrowdy is hosting an Ask-Me-Anything (AMA) session at their office in Lagos, with the leadership team from Techstars Atlanta, who would be joining remotely on Tuesday, 13 March 2018. This session will enable founders interested in the program to interact directly with Techstars Atlanta and ask necessary questions about the program. To register for this session, visit the website.
How to apply for the programme
To increase chances of getting selected as an applicant, you may head to the website to apply for the Q/A session. March 13, 2018.
CcHub Incubation Program ($25,000)
For 7 years now, CcHub has supported the growth of startups using technology to solve local and social problems through its incubation program. Startups that have enjoyed CcHub’s support overtime include Stutern, BudgIT, Mamalette and Lifebank to mention a few. In the hub’s quest to continuously provide support, it has opened up application for its next cohort of incubatees.
- Access to initial $25,000 investment and more follow-on funding of up to $250,000
- Office space and internet for your team
- Access to CcHub’s network and cooperate, partners,
- Handon business and administrative support
- Access to industry experts via mentorship
- Access to investors and post-incubation funding.
How to apply
You may head to the website to commence your application. Deadline is March 29, 2018.
A Day In A Life In Africa by Bantu Photos Limited ($1750)
Bantu Photos stocks fresh images and footage depicting Africa and its inhabitants as we know it and not how we are perceived. This call for entries seeks to develop a portfolio of images which depict Africans at work and in business as well as in various professions – Africans in media, enterprise, technology, health and education.
Photographers get cash prizes:
- $500 and
How to participate
- You must be registered on Bantu Photos as a Contributor.
- You must upload 20 Images in the “A Day in a Life in Africa” category.
- Only images uploaded in any of these categories will be qualified — Technology, Health, Education, Finance and Media.
- Images must be taken by the person submitting them.
- Images must meet up with Bantu Photo’s technical specifications.
For more information, you may visit the website . Deadline is February 18, 2018.
Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Program (TEEP) — $10,000
Africa’s largest philanthropy supporting entrepreneurship – The Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) is now accepting applications for business ideas that can transform Africa. The Programme, in its 4th cycle, is TEF’s 10-year, $100 million commitment to identify, train, mentor and fund 10,000 African entrepreneurs by 2024.
The Programme provides critical tools for business success, including:
- Training: 12 weeks of intensive online training which guides creating and managing a business
- Mentoring: a world-class mentor to guide during the early transformation stages of the business
- Funding: $5,000* in seed capital to prove the concept, plus access to further funding
- Network: access to the largest network of African start-ups and TEF’s own global contacts
How to apply
You may visit the website to apply. Deadline is March 1, 2018.
Meltwater Entrepreneurship Program (MEST) — $100,000
Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) is calling aspiring African techies and entrepreneurs to join its next dynamic cohort of trainees, with the opportunity to become world-class software developers and receive funding for their tech startups by entering the fully sponsored year-long program in Accra, Ghana which begins August 2018.
Joining the program exposes the entrepreneurs to new and diverse cultures, builds them to become globally competitive, and makes them eligible to receive seed-funding of $50,000 – $100,000 from the Meltwater Foundation.
How to apply
Interested applicants may proceed to the website. Application closes in May.
ChallengeRocket — Anita’s Moonshot Codeathon! ($27,250)
The main goal of this online codeathon is to bring women from interdisciplinary backgrounds to produce a creative solution to a socio-cultural or socio-economic problem. Simply, a diverse team is needed to solve a problem in their community with the online hackathon. No coding experience is needed to be part of a team.
- Both individuals and teams can compete, but they must identify as a woman.
- A maximum number of contestants in one team is 5 people
- You need not have a coding experience
- A full roster of programs help women grow, learn, and develop their highest potential.
- Winners get $27,250 grand prize
- Grand Prize Winners attend Grace Hopper Celebration 2018!
How to apply
If you are a female and interested in using technology to solve problems, visit the website immediately.
USADF – All On Nigeria Off-Grid Energy Challenge Call for Proposals ($100,000)
Launched in 2013, the Off-Grid Energy Challenge was to bring affordable and renewable energy to rural communities across Africa. Since 2013, over $7 million has been invested in 75 energy entrepreneurs in 9 countries to provide off-grid energy solutions to rural communities.
The U.S. African Development Foundation and All On invites proposals for innovative off-grid solutions to “power up” underserved areas of Nigeria. Applicants should be developing, scaling up or extending energy technologies to off-grid areas of Nigeria. To be considered for the Challenge, applicants must be 100% African-owned, majority Nigerian-owned and managed private companies registered in Nigeria, and must be operating in Nigeria.
How to apply
In order to apply, applicants are required to submit an application template and some required attachments as stated on the website. Deadline is March 1, 2018.
AfricaConnekt.org is an innovation platform that gives young African entrepreneurs a space to share their ideas, collaborate with their peers, and receive mentoring. The second AfricaConnekt.org Competition is now on, and your company could win funding. All you have to do to enter the competition is create an account, submit a video explaining your business or idea.
How to apply
Visit the online platform to apply.
Digital Africa startup challenge 2018
For more information and to apply for this challenge, head to the website.
Editor’s note: Are you launching any opportunities? Tell us about it by filling this form
On January 27, 2021, Techpoint Africa will be hosting the brightest minds in decentralised finance/crypto at the Digital Currency Summit tagged “Building the money of the future” Click here for more details, registration and sponsorship.
Report: Millionaire West African startups” raised over $1.806 billion between 2010 and 2019, 97.9% of which went to Nigerian startups. Get a free overview and 50% purchase discount here.
Listen to Built in Africa, a podcast by Techpoint Africa
Girl … with a pen. Content Creator.