TikTok is reportedly testing a feature that will include Google Search in its in-app search results.
App Researcher Radu Oncescu discovered this. He shared a screenshot of the feature, depicting a tiny box halfway down the TikTok search results page that prompts users to search for the same terms on Google Search.
The company is said to be testing several third-party integrations, including the Google integration. Also, one report earlier this month showed that TikTok would soon add Wikipedia snippets to its search results.
Here's what I've got for you today:
- Is Yemi Cardoso the right person to lead the CBN?
- Nigeria to boost startup listings via the NGX Tech Board
Is Yemi Cardoso the right person to lead the CBN?
Last Friday, Yemi Cardoso took over as Acting Central Bank of Nigeria Governor after President Bola Tinubu's nomination.
Besides, Godwin Emefiele, the precedin governor, has formally resigned. Folashodun Shonubi, Aishah Ahmad, Edward Lametek Adamu, and Kingsley Obiora, all former deputy governors, did the same.
Consequently, the President's nominees for deputy governors — Muhammad Sani Abdullahi Dattijo, Emem Nnan Usoro, Philip Ikeazor, and Bala M. Bello — have also assumed office in an acting capacity.
Cardoso and the acting deputy governors took the oath of office at the CBN headquarters in Abuja, the capital of Nigeria. However, the Senate has yet to confirm them.
If approved, Cardoso will lead the apex bank.
What you should know about Cardoso: He has over 30 years of experience in the public and private financial sectors.
Yet, there are questions about his relationship with the President and the independence of the CBN. Read Bolu’s story to find out: Nigeria's next CBN governor may be qualified for the job, but this fact about him could be a problem
Nigeria to boost startup listings via the NGX Technology Board
The Ministry of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy has announced plans to collaborate with the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) to encourage startup listings through the NGX Technology Board.
What’s the Technology Board? It’s a platform for startups to list and raise capital on The Exchange. NGX supports investments in African and domestic tech-oriented businesses, increases their visibility, and broadens the Nigerian capital market via the board.
Why? Bosun Tijani, the Minister of Communications, stated that technology and innovation can help diversify Nigeria's reliance on oil and increase productivity in other sectors.
The Ministry will improve digital infrastructure, facilitate the export of tech goods and services, create a regulatory environment for fintechs, give access to funding, and work with NGX on specialised listing options for startups via its Technology Board.
Temi Popoola, CEO of NGX, added that is is eager to foster innovation in the capital market, potentially attracting a larger pool of investors and mature tech companies to list on its platform.
Sidebar: In December 2022, the Securities and Exchange Commission approved the rules for listing on the Nigeria Exchange's (NGX) new Technology Board.
Last week on Techpoint Africa
- Naspers CEO steps down; Ervin Tu, Chief Investment Officer, takes over in the interim
- For $120 annually, Fleri offers African immigrants a substitute for sending money home to cover medical costs
- Tell us about your job and stand a chance to win a VIP ticket to the Modern Workplace Africa Conference
- Backed by the Gates Foundation, i3 announces second cohort of healthcare supply chain startups
- Nigerian blockchain company Convexity named one of Circle pitch event finalists at BlackRock HQ, New York
- ANKA plans to hire tech talent to fuel expansion plans with $5m pre-Series A extension round
- Former CEO of 54Gene launches Syndicate Bio, another genomics company
- Nigerian-led Mainstack emerges as one of the top 20 startups at TechCrunch Startup Battlefield 200
- Complete Farmer, a Ghanaian agritech startup, gets $10.4 million pre-Series A to streamline operations
- Meet the expert speakers redefining work at the Modern Workplace Africa Conference (MWAC)
What I'm reading and watching
- Chinese Spies Infected Dozens of Networks With Thumb Drive Malware
- TikTok Is Becoming Problematic
- An Autistic Sociopath's Story (A Life with Few Emotions)
- Do you live in Nigeria and work with a local or foreign company? Whether remotely, on-site, hybrid, full-time, part-time or as a freelancer. @TheIntelpoint is trying to understand the Nigerian workspace: how you work, and toxicity in the workspace among others. Please, fill out the questionnaire here.
- PayPal is looking for a Data Analyst. Apply here.
- TestGorilla is hiring a Growth Product Manager. Apply here.
- The International Organisation of Employers (IOE) and Seedstars have launched the fourth edition of The Migration Challenge. The programme seeks global tech startups, particularly those in Northern Africa, the Middle East, and Central and Eastern Europe, to develop innovative standard migration procedures that benefit migrants, companies, and governments. These solutions should also address migration caused by the climate and support green transitions with migrant workforces. Apply here by October 6, 2023.
- Xapo Bank is looking for a Senior Data Analyst to join their team remotely. Apply here.
- Rainforest is looking for an AI Product Manager to work remotely. Apply here.
- Biconomy is hiring remote for the following roles: DevOps Engineer, Senior Backend Engineer, and Technical Product Manager (Developer Experience). Apply here.
- OPEC Fund is hiring an Investment Manager, Portfolio Management (Financial Institutions Sector) and (Infrastructure Sector). Apply before September 27, 2023 here and here, respectively.
- Co-creation Hub (CcHub) is looking for a skilled and experienced Impact and Evaluation Analyst. Apply here.
- CcHub is hiring a Research Associate. Apply here.
- Apply for the role of a Project Manager at CcHub here.
- Apply for the Design and Digital Marketing School Lagos Program if you want to learn skills in Graphic Design, Product Design, and Digital Marketing for 7 weeks, starting Monday, October 9, 2023. Apply here.
- Are you an MVP-stage impact-driven founder shaping the future of healthcare? Apply for the Halcyon Fellowship by October 21, 2023 here.
- If you are a software engineer, creative designer, product manager, design researcher, or a techie looking for an internship role, please, check out this website.
Have a great week!
Victoria Fakiya for Techpoint Africa.