Ingressive Capital completes its $10m African fund, set to invest up to $400K in new startups

by | Jun 24, 2020

Ingressive Capital has announced the completion of its $10 million African tech fund.

Founded by Maya Horgan Famodu in 2017, Ingressive Capital invests in high-growth tech startups across Africa.

The venture capital fund targets pre-seed and seed stage tech businesses in both the B2B and B2C spaces. In 2019, Ingressive Capital announced that it will be investing $50,000 to $100,000 and called for online applications.

According to the fund’s website, it has 12 African startups in its portfolio. They include Paystack, OgaVenue, Tizeti, Awa Bike, Fuel Metrics, 54gene, Jetstream, OZE, Send, Funneljoy, Vesicash, and Bamboo.

Advertisement

On a call with Techpoint Africa, Famodu explained that when Ingressive Capital launched, it secured a $5 million fund to operate. Today, it is announcing an additional $5 million, making Ingressive Capital a $10M fund.

Maya Horgan Famodu (Founder and partner at Ingressive Capital). Source: Maya Horgan Famodu Instagram

Famodu also points out that the ticket sizes will change going forward.

“We previously invested $50,000 to $100,000. But now we’re investing $200,000 to $400,000 for 10% ownership,” she said.

In essence, the next set of African companies to be backed by Ingressive Capital will be valued at $2 million or more.

On another note, Ingressive Capital has a mix of local and international backers. According to a statement released by the fund, 20 per cent of its limited partners invest in traditional businesses in Africa. The other 80 per cent are later stage investment funds.

Through these limited partners, portfolio startups can access additional and follow-up funding from foreign investors.

Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority, Plexo Capital, Platform Capital, among other institutional capital firms, are some of Ingressive Capital new investors. Other backers include Michael Seibel, Y Combinator CEO; Techstars; and WTI.

The statement also points out fund advisors for the fund include Seth Levine, managing director of Foundry Group; Kai Bond, Courtside Ventures partner; Maurice Werdegar, president and CEO of WTI.

Advertisement


Featured image: The Ingressive Capital team. Source: Ingressive Capital Instagram

Tage Kene-Okafor
Tage Kene-Okafor

Endlessly amused by technology. @ulonnaya

On January 22, 2022, be part of the largest gathering of innovators, startup founders, thinkers, programmers, policymakers, and investors in West Africa. Register free.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Recent News

Subscribe to Techpoint Digest!

A daily 5-minute roundup of happenings in African and global tech, sent directly to your email inbox, between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m (WAT) every week day!

Please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Subscribe to Crypto Explorer

A monthly series featuring in-depth analysis on the cryptocurrency sector in Africa

Please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Subscribe to The Experts

A bi-weekly where tech career specialists take us on their journey from newbie to expert, and how they became successful in the industry.

Please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Subscribe to Founder's Table

A monthly series, where we catch up with founders in the startup ecosystem, learn about their failures, successes and a few tricks of the trade

Please check your email to confirm your subscription.

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap