The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) has deployed 1,400 Revenue Service Assistants to provide services to taxpayers and boost productivity and culture.
The assistants will help with iTax, a system that improves efficiency in tax-related processes, and register trading businesses.
Among other things, they will also be in charge of helping clients update their iTax profiles and verifying location contact information.
In July 2023, the KRA announced a revenue collection target of KSh 2.8 trillion ($18.9 billion) for fiscal year 2023-2024, a significant increase from the previous year's target of KSh 2.1 trillion ($14.2 billion).
Here's what I've got for you today:
- Kenya launches health kits to improve healthcare
- Petitioner to push for TikTok ban in Kenya today
Kenya launches health kits to improve healthcare
The Kenyan government, through the Ministry of Health, will provide 100,000 community health promoter kits, along with smartphones, to conduct household health screening.
The tools will also allow them to send and receive information, instructions, and advice.
This move will help people in the country receive basic healthcare and medical services.
President William Ruto said investing more time and money in preventive medicine will help combat diseases, especially preventable ones.
These community health promoters would provide a specific range of preventive and promotional health services to Kenyan households.
Each promoter will visit 100 homes, with the government providing stipends for the 100,000 community health promoters who will work in each of its 47 counties.
Petitioner to push for TikTok ban in Kenya today
On August 15, 2023, Bridget Connect Consultancy CEO, Bob Ndolo submitted a petition to National Assembly Speaker, Moses Wetang'ula, asking to ban TikTok in Kenya.
The petitioner complained that the social media platform's content is inappropriate and promotes violence, foul language, explicit sexual content, and hate speech, endangering Kenya's cultural and religious values.
What’s new? Ndolo will appear before the Parliamentary Public Petitions Committee today at 11 a.m. EAT to discuss this and provide more information.
This news follows Kenyan President William Ruto's announcement that TikTok would open an office in the East African country.
He also said TikTok would collaborate with the Kenyan government to moderate content on its platform to adhere to community standards. Thus, offensive or inappropriate content would be removed from the short-form video platform.
In case you missed it
- Inspired by the #ENDSARS protest, this 23-year-old programmer is making mental health care more accessible in Nigeria
What I'm reading and watching
- You can now prompt ChatGPT with pictures and voice commands
- JAMB stops parents selecting courses for their children with disabilities
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: DEI Training’s Unintended Consequences
- Konstantin Kisin: Woke Culture HAS Gone Too Far
- Do you live in Nigeria and work with a local or foreign company? Whether remotely, on-site, hybrid, full-time, part-time or as a freelancer. @TheIntelpoint is trying to understand the Nigerian workspace: how you work, and toxicity in the workspace among others. Please, fill out the questionnaire here.
- PayPal is looking for a Data Analyst. Apply here.
- TestGorilla is hiring a Growth Product Manager. Apply here.
- The International Organisation of Employers (IOE) and Seedstars have launched the fourth edition of The Migration Challenge. The programme seeks global tech startups, particularly those in Northern Africa, the Middle East, and Central and Eastern Europe, to develop innovative standard migration procedures that benefit migrants, companies, and governments. These solutions should also address migration caused by the climate and support green transitions with migrant workforces. Apply here by October 6, 2023.
- Xapo Bank is looking for a Senior Data Analyst to join their team remotely. Apply here.
- Rainforest is looking for an AI Product Manager to work remotely. Apply here.
- Biconomy is hiring remote for the following roles: DevOps Engineer, Senior Backend Engineer, and Technical Product Manager (Developer Experience). Apply here.
- OPEC Fund is hiring an Investment Manager, Portfolio Management (Financial Institutions Sector) and (Infrastructure Sector). Apply before September 27, 2023 here and here, respectively.
- Co-creation Hub (CcHub) is looking for a skilled and experienced Impact and Evaluation Analyst. Apply here.
- CcHub is hiring a Research Associate. Apply here.
- Apply for the role of a Project Manager at CcHub here.
- Apply for the Design and Digital Marketing School Lagos Program if you want to learn skills in Graphic Design, Product Design, and Digital Marketing for 7 weeks, starting Monday, October 9, 2023. Apply here.
- Are you an MVP-stage impact-driven founder shaping the future of healthcare? Apply for the Halcyon Fellowship by October 21, 2023 here.
- If you are a software engineer, creative designer, product manager, design researcher, or a techie looking for an internship role, please, check out this website.
Have a beautiful Tuesday!
Victoria Fakiya for Techpoint Africa.