The amount of money in circulation in Nigeria increased from ₦982.1 billion in February 2023 to ₦1.68 trillion in March 2023.
Additionally, currency outside of the banking system increased from ₦843.3 billion to ₦1.44 trillion in the month under review.
The recent increase in the amount of money in circulation is likely due to the Supreme Court's ruling in March to allow old naira notes to remain legal tender until December 31, 2023.
Here's what I've got for you today:
- How Damu Sasa saves lives in Kenya
- Ghana's Communications Authority to deactivate unregistered SIMs by May 2023
How Damu Sasa saves lives in Kenya
On September 21, 2013, a terrorist attacked the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya.
Islamist militant group, Al-Shabab, stormed the mall with at least four masked attackers, who started shooting at the shoppers and employees.
Al-Shabab is a Somalia-based terror group that was originally formed in the mid-2000s as the militant wing of the Somalia Council of Islamic Courts. The group has been labelled as a terrorist group by many countries.
In retaliation for Kenya's involvement in a military operation in Somalia, Al-Shabab attacked the shopping mall.
The group also stated that they chose the mall as their target because it was frequented by foreigners and wealthy Kenyans.
Over 200 individuals were injured during the four-day attack, which claimed at least 71 lives.
While the victims ended up at several hospitals, the hospital ecosystem was unprepared for the sudden influx of patients requiring trauma blood transfusions.
Although many Kenyans showed up to donate blood, the blood bags and screening reagents to examine the donated blood weren’t enough. Thus, many patients had to wait longer than necessary to receive blood transfusions.
This gave Aaron Ogunde and Kilemi Thambura the idea for Damu Sasa, a healthtech startup.
Damu Sasa is a platform that lists, connects, and tracks blood donors and blood units to transfusing facilities, logistics providers, and regulators for patients who require an immediate blood transfusion.
Want more information? Click here: Kenyan healthtech startup, Damu Sasa, is saving lives by making blood and blood products readily available
Ghana's Communications Authority to deactivate unregistered SIMs by May 2023
Last week, the National Communications Authority (NCA) of Ghana warned over 11 million active SIM card users to register their SIM cards by the end of May 2023 to avoid being deactivated.
This means every Ghanaian has to link their SIM card to their Ghana Card, the country’s National Identity card.
Joe Anokye, Director General of the NCA, said most subscribers who had not registered their SIM cards did not qualify for exemption from deactivation and registration.
Only Ghanaians serving on official business outside the country, foreign diplomats, and refugees are exempt.
Out of 36,571,257 active SIM cards, 25,448,962 have been registered and connected to roughly 13,982,557 Ghana Cards.
Also, subscribers who do not have Ghana Cards by the end of the deadline would need to provide proof to keep their SIMs from being deactivated.
Starting June 1, 2023, the SIM registration process will only apply to new SIMs.
Anokye claimed that the Central SIM Register had removed about six million unregistered cards, indicating that some of these cards had been used fraudulently.
So, those found to "be in breach would be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law."In October 2021, the country started the mass registration of SIM cards, using only the Ghana Card as a means of verification and identification.
What I'm reading and watching
- Microsoft Teams now lets small businesses charge for appointments, webinars, and more
- Here Comes the Bride, With AI-Generated Wedding Vows
- The Amazing AI Super Tutor for Students and Teachers
- Is Mental Health Genetic, Habit, or Personality?
- Clevertech is looking for a remote Mobile Engineer. Apply here.
- CreateApe is hiring a remote UI/UX Designer. Apply here.
- Are you a creative journalist and media maker passionate about fixing what isn’t working in sub-Saharan African media? Apply for the 2023 Jamlab Accelerator Programme here.
- Atlassian is hiring a remote Senior Quality Engineer. Apply here.
- Uplearn is hiring a Software Engineer. Check it out here.
- Scale seeks candidates for a remote AI Training position in poetry writing, travel, and sports. Apply here.
- If you are a software engineer, creative designer, product manager, design researcher, or a techie looking for an internship role, please, check out this website.
Have a fantastic Tuesday!