Startup South is a one-day educational and networking conference for small business owners, investors and their clients who currently operate out of the South-South and South-East Geopolitical zones of Nigeria. The event is free for participants and scheduled to take place on the 28th of November, 2015.
Speaking on what this workshop hopes to achieve and participants should expect from the event, Uche Aniche, the chief convener says that;
“ Startup South is the perfect opportunity for investors to discover innovative startups in the South-South and South-Eastern part of Nigeria. We believe Africans can solve Africa’s problem if they borrow a leaf from the men who built America. We need individuals to solve specific problems and become successful at solving them. Port-Harcourt is ripe for an active Angel Network and it is high time the world knew that.”
Tony Balogun a member of the organizing team also had this to say; “#StartupSouth was born out of the need to project and explore the promise of the region (with emphasis on Port Harcourt) as the next major economic hub of the nation outside Lagos…The plan is to educate and connect people with brilliant ideas to people looking to invest in big ideas.”
Speakers expected at the event include:
- Mark Essien (Founder, Hotels.ng)
- Aboyeji Iyinoluwa (co-founder, Andela)
- Godson Ohuruogu (co founder, FocusHub, Port Harcourt’s pioneer innovation hub)
- Uchay Ariolu (Founder, Foodstantly)
- Julia Jacks (Moni Pulo)
- Jay Anabraba (co-founder, Paga)
- Lexi Novitske (Prinicipal Investment Officer, Singularity Invest)
- Etinosa Omoregie (BoleKing)
The event, which is being put together by Biztorials (a Small Business Education focused project by Havilah & Hills in partnership with FocushHub, TechPoint Information Systems, GoldGate Media Productions, Gr8Impact Ltd, Darch Consulting, StartupNigeria (Media Partners) and others, will also feature a pitch session, keynote sessions, panel discussions with a dinner session wrapping up the program of activities.
#StartupSouth will feature an awards segment for media platforms that have supported small businesses in the target regions in these 6 categories –
- SmallBiz Friendly Platform of the year 2015 (TV)
- SmallBiz Friendly Platform of the year 2015 (Radio)
- SmallBiz Friendly Platform of the year 2015 (Print)
- SmallBiz Friendly Platform of the year 2015 (Online)
- SmallBiz Focused Platform of the year 2015
- SmallBiz OAP of the year.
- SmallBiz Journalist of The Year 2015 (Print/Online)
Interested participants are required to book their tickets to the event on the link provided ( https://goo.gl/RrvqnC ). Early birds will have the one in a lifetime opportunity to partake in a one-on-one networking session with the speakers.