Chipper Cash is "fully operational" in the United States after months of pausing services

·
May 8, 2024
·
2 min read
Chipper Cash co-founders
  • Chipper Cash, an African cross-border payment startup, has resumed and is now "fully operational" in the United States following a two-month hiatus. 
  • According to the fintech, the company used the time to transition to a new US banking partner and improve its services.
  • Following the resumption, US customers can now send funds to Chipper Cash's African markets, which include Nigeria, Ghana, Rwanda, and Uganda.

Chipper Cash reportedly suspended international money transfer services in the United States after informing users that operations in the region would be halted due to a terminated bank partnership.

Aside from suspending and resuming operations, Chipper Cash had eliminated all roles in the United States and the United Kingdom as part of a restructuring effort to focus its workforce in Africa.

In March 2024, Chipper Cash announced plans to relocate some of its US and UK-based roles, affecting approximately 20 people, to African markets such as South Africa, Ghana, and Nigeria.

Chipper Cash previously laid off employees in December 2023, the fourth time in a year. Meanwhile, it laid off employees in December 2022, following a $150 million funding round led by FTX, a now-defunct cryptocurrency company.

Chipper Cash announced an upgrade to the platform, including individual bank account details for a better transaction experience, following the latest US resumption. “Our newly optimised account top-up experience now provides you with your own dedicated bank account details, making it easier than ever to send money from the US to your family and friends across Africa.”

However, users must update their Chipper Cash app to the most recent version and verify their account. Recognising that such transitions may be difficult, the fintech promises assistance from its support team. 

Chipper Cash launched in the United States in December 2022, and through Chipper's US licencing programme, the company obtained money transmitter licences in 80% of the states, with banking partnerships supporting operations in the remaining 20%.  

According to the statement, expanding its US licencing programme [which began in 2021 through 2023] now includes money transmitter licences for 40 individual states.

Besides, the 40 licences, combined with the 15 it holds across the continent, bring its global licencing portfolio to 55. It also said it aims to obtain all 53 US money transmitter licences by 2024.

Don't miss out on Africa's financial revolution

Keep up with the rapid pace of innovation in Africa's fintech landscape with Fintech Today. Designed for quick consumption, our exclusive newsletter, trusted by over 1,000 industry leaders, delivers the latest insights, trends, and breakthroughs right to your inbox.
Fintech Today

Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime. Privacy Policy.


Got a tip? Our journalists are ready to dig deeper. Please share your insights and information and help us uncover the stories that matter.

Subscribe To Techpoint Digest
Join thousands of subscribers to receive our fun week-daily 5-minute roundup of happenings in African and global tech, directly in your inbox, hours before everyone else.
This is A daily 5-minute roundup of happenings in African and global tech, sent directly to your email inbox, between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m (WAT) every week day! 
Digest Subscription

Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime. Privacy Policy.

Other Stories

43b, Emina Cres, Allen, Ikeja.

 Techpremier Media Limited. All rights reserved
magnifier