The proposed 15% tax on digital content creators in Kenya, has been reviewed downwards to 5%.
Local content creators objected to the 15% tax proposal, claiming it was unfair and would result in double taxation.
Keny's Finance Bill 2023 expands the definition of digital content monetisation to include revenue from brand sponsorships, affiliate marketing, and advertisements on websites, social media platforms, and other platforms.
Here's what I've got for you today:
- Eyowo is set to resume operations
- Bolt responds to a kidnapping incident in Kenya
- Disney increases Disney+ prices in South Africa
Eyowo is set to resume operations
In May 2023, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) revoked the microfinance licence of Eyowo, a digital bank, and 46 other companies.
The apex bank also revoked the licences of 132 Microfinance Banks, Finance Companies, and Mortgage Banks.
However, yesterday, Eyowo said it would soon resume operations.
It comes after the company received its Payment Solution Service Providers (PSSP) licence.
Be the smartest in the room
The company's co-CEO, Yomi Adedeji, said the PSSP licence allows it to continue to provide its payment services because it now has the full backing of the CBN.
Eyowo customers have been unable to withdraw or send money since the CBN revoked the bank's MFB licence on May 23. However, Adedeji said the bank is nearly ready to allow interbank transactions.
Using new accounts powered by Eyowo's partner, Providus Bank, he claimed the bank has begun to link its tier 2 and tier 3 customers, enabling them to conduct interbank transactions.
Once they add their BVN, customers in Tier 1 will automatically receive an upgrade.
Additionally, the company states that they will receive an email with all the information they require to resume interbank transactions.
Bolt responds to kidnapping incident in Kenya
In response to the recent kidnapping of two females by a Bolt driver in Kenya and their subsequent rescue, the ride-hailing company has released a statement.
Media personality, Ciku Muiruri reported that her daughter and her friend were kidnapped after booking a Bolt ride.
Some backstory: The victims — Muiruri’s daughter, Erica Gachoka, and her friend, Shanice Agose — were reportedly looking for a ride to Kilimani, Nairobi, after attending a house party in the city’s Westlands neighbourhood.
When they got to Rhapta Road in Westlands, the driver allegedly threatened them with a hammer before speeding at Thika, a town in Kenya.
A team of detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations’ Crime Research and Intelligence Bureau and the Operations branch worked together to find the victims, who had been missing since June 4.
They found the victims on Monday, June 12, 2023, in a vacant bedsitter in Gatokoyo, where the kidnappers held them for a week.
The kidnappers demanded KSh 500,000 ($3,580) for both girls.
Bolt said it actively worked with the authorities to provide relevant information about this case that supported the investigation's conclusion.
Additionally, the company emphasised its committment to passenger safety, and disavowed acts of hostility or violence.
Bolt has a driver selfie check feature to tackle account sharing and driver impersonation. It also has an SOS emergency button on driver and rider apps that can be used at any time while a trip is in progress to alert security and/or request first-responder medical assistance.
However, this most recent development has caused a stir among users. Users have shared their experiences with Bolt drivers, with some claiming that the company is not doing enough to protect their customers.
Disney increases Disney+ prices in South Africa
Beginning July 19, 2023, Disney Africa will raise the cost of its South African Disney+ subscription video streaming service.
Disney first introduced its streaming service in the country in May 2022.
The company said it would alert customers via SMS, push notifications, and in-app updates, at least 30 days before a price change.
The monthly plan saw a 16.8% increase from R119 to R139, while the annual subscription went up by 14.4% from R1,990 to R1,390.
Customers who registered using a third-party service, including Apple or Google in-app purchases, should contact that provider for more details
In case you missed it
- 12 burning questions about Nigeria's student loan bill, answered, the country's first telemedicine platform?
- Glovo Nigeria's country manager expects the demand for on-demand delivery to continue despite increased operating costs
- Why is Nigeria's satellite company championing NigComHealth, the country's first telemedicine platform?
What I'm reading and watching
- Instagram’s status update now includes what song you’re listening to
- OpenAI reportedly warned Microsoft about Bing’s bizarre AI responses
- Why Your Less-Experienced Colleagues Are Promoted Instead of You!
- How to Trick Your Brain into Doing Hard Things
- Substack is hiring a Product Designer. Apply here.
- Messari is hiring a Senior Frontend Engineer (data visualisation). You can apply here.
- SourceGraph is looking for a Product Manager. Apply here.
- Coinshift is looking for a Senior Product Designer, Customer Success Manager, and Senior Product Marketing Manager. Check out this link to apply for any of these remote positions.
- Several companies are looking for remote Product Manager, Software Engineering Manager, Data Engineer, Enterprise Account Manager, Security Researcher and Learning Experience Designer Jobs. Check out this link to see these roles and apply.
- Gelato Network is hiring remote for the following roles: Business Development Intern, Data Engineer, Develop Relations, Product Manager, Senior Frontend Engineer. Apply here.
- Kalepa is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer. Check out this page to apply.
- Paxos is hiring a senior IT engineer. Check out this link.
- Infra is looking for a lead software engineer. Apply here.
- If you are a software engineer, creative designer, product manager, design researcher, or a techie looking for an internship role, please, check out this website.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
Victoria Fakiya for Techpoint Africa.