As the year 2017 draws to a close, we have to admit that it has been an eventful one for us as Nigerians. It was the year our president worked remotely from the United Kingdom for 103 days and Imo State got a Commissioner for Happiness, among other things.
We also experienced some lows including the flood that displaced thousands of Nigerians, acts of terrorism by Boko Haram and slavery of Nigerians in Libya.
It is no wonder Nigerians seek an escape from these harsh realities by watching comedy and music videos online — despite the high cost of internet data subscription — and YouTube has numbers to prove it.
Earlier this month, Google released the annual YouTube Rewind lists, showcasing the moments that captured the attention of Nigerians and YouTube users around the world this year.
According to the lists, some of the most viewed videos by Nigerians include comedy skits and movies, visuals to top Nigerian and international songs and videos of political concerns such as President Buhari’s return from the United Kingdom and the Biafra protests.
Top 10 trending videos
In July, Mark Angel Comedy received the 1 million subscribers award from Google making it the most subscribed Nigerian-owned YouTube channel ever. It therefore comes as no surprise that the channel grabbed the top three positions of top 10 trending videos in 2017.
1. Maths teacher (Mark Angel Comedy) (Episode 118)
2. Longer throat (Mark Angel Comedy) (Episode 101)
3. Dumb and deaf by Emmanuella VS Aki and Pawpaw with 3.2 million views
4. Akpors and Beaty 1 with 1.5 million views.
5. Welcome back President Buhari with 1.3 million views.
6. Our President is back- Pete Edochie with 1.1 million views.
7. Channels TV: Boko Haram Special Documentary with 1.1 million views.
8. Biafra: Kanu – “I want Binta to see this” with 898,652 views.
9. Wo- Olamide dance – by Ikorodu talented kids (Dream Catchers Dance) with 647,556 views.
10. Naij.com visits Evans the Kidnapper’s house, how should he be punished? With 525,095 views.
Top 10 Trending music videos
Top on the list are the videos of the most popular songs by the biggest Nigerian artistes of the moment; Davido and Wizkid.
1. Davido- If (Official video)
2. Wizkid – Come closer ft Drake
3. Davido – Fall
4. Tekno – Yawa with 17.7 million views.
5. Psquare – Nobody ugly with 12.8 million views.
6. Olamide – Wo (Official video) with 11 million views.
7. Flavour – Most High ft Semah G. Weifur with 6.3 million views.
Music videos of some foreign songs were also popular among Nigerians.
For more top lists from around the world, checkout the YouTube Rewind 2017 Channel.
Featured image source: Mark Angel Comedy.
Nigerian startups raised $377m in 2019, more than twice what they did in 2018. Find out more when you download the full report.