How would you like to start the weekend now that it is Friday?
If you are an HR executive who lives in Lagos, consider attending the HR Mixer by Techpoint Africa today, September 29, 2023, at 5 p.m. WAT.
Not only can you unwind, you can also speak with a counselling psychologist if you so choose. Interested HR professionals can increase their chances of receiving an invitation by filling out this form.
You could spend the evening with a loved one if you are not in Lagos or are not an HR executive. Please go out tomorrow or Sunday since it is pay week! If you haven’t planned where to go or do not want to go alone, reply to this email. I’m all ready for fun this weekend. 😉😊
Sidebar: The editorial team talked about a few stories that I left out of this week’s newsletter on the latest episode of the Techpoint Africa Podcast, including Risevest acquiring Chaka, 54gene closing down, and Sendy going into administration. Watch it here.
Here's what I've got for you today:
- Enza Capital closes $58m across two funds
- Ukheshe enables crypto payments in South Africa
Enza Capital closes $58m across two funds
Kenya-based VC firm Enza Capital has closed $58 million across two funds.
The limited partners in both funds include the founding partners and a wide range of investors, including family offices, foundations, hedge funds, venture capital funds, and private individuals.
Enza Capital typically writes checks between $250,000 and $5 million for its portfolio companies like Autochek, Jumba, Craydel, Cloudline, and SeamlessHR, among others.
In 2019, the company launched an early-stage fund with the goal of finding, supporting, and helping build category-defining startups in the pre-seed and seed stages.
The fund is still active and has invested in fintech, logistics, health, human capital, and climate companies.
Enza has used both funds to make 48 investments in 31 different companies. Ten African markets have benefited from these investments, including Senegal, South Africa, Rwanda, Nigeria, Egypt, and Ivory Coast.
The VC’s eight remote employees are spread out across Nairobi, Johannesburg, London, and New York. It will increase its presence in Lagos and a city in a French-speaking African country to support its portfolio companies in those markets.
Consequently, it will hire more talent to oversee these endeavours across various departments closely.
What's more, Enza Capital is also launching its founder partner programme, allowing portfolio companies' founders, and executive teams to become co-owners.
Ukheshe enables crypto payments in South Africa
South African fintech Ukheshe has partnered with Xion Global — a web3 payments provider — to enable cryptocurrency payments in its Scan to Pay app, a QR ecosystem.
Ukheshe says the partnership will introduce more crypto payment options to people in South Africa through the Scan to Pay app.
Besides, it claims that the local market is moving towards widespread adoption of cryptocurrency and stablecoin payments because cryptocurrency is a form of payment at significant South African retailers, including spaza shops.
How do you make crypto payments via the Scan to Pay app? After connecting your Metamask wallet — a crypto wallet — you must scan a QR code on your receipt, check the amount in the Scan to Pay app, and choose "pay with crypto voucher."
Per the company, over 600,000 merchants, 14 banks, fintech firms, and 94 payment service providers use Scan to Pay.
What I'm reading and watching
- Why consent for club photos while drunk holds no water
- Thomas Sowell on the Myths of Economic Inequality
- Why Gender Equality Is Good for Everyone — Men Included
- Google has announced the opening of applications for the Hustle Academy Fund strictly for Nigerian SMEs. Apply by October 12, 2023, here.
- If you are an HR executive from any industry, you should consider attending the HR Mixer organised by Techpoint Africa. It is an invite-only, intimate affair because there are limited spots. While the event is today, September 29, 2023, interested HR professionals can increase their chances of receiving an invitation by filling out this form.
- Do you live in Nigeria and work with a local or foreign company? Whether remotely, on-site, hybrid, full-time, part-time or as a freelancer. @TheIntelpoint is trying to understand the Nigerian workspace: how you work, and toxicity in the workspace among others. Please, fill out the questionnaire here.
- Afrifursa is hosting its annual tech event, Afri Future Tech Summit, in Toronto, Canada, from October 14-16, 2023. At the event, you will gain access to the most innovative companies and tech leaders from across Africa and Canada. Register here.
- The International Organisation of Employers (IOE) and Seedstars have launched the fourth edition of The Migration Challenge. The programme seeks global tech startups, particularly those in Northern Africa, the Middle East, and Central and Eastern Europe, to develop innovative standard migration procedures that benefit migrants, companies, and governments. These solutions should also address migration caused by the climate and support green transitions with migrant workforces. Apply here by October 6, 2023.
- Xapo Bank is looking for a Senior Data Analyst to join their team remotely. Apply here.
- Rainforest is looking for an AI Product Manager to work remotely. Apply here.
- Biconomy is hiring remote for the following roles: DevOps Engineer, Senior Backend Engineer, and Technical Product Manager (Developer Experience). Apply here.
- Co-creation Hub (CcHub) is looking for a skilled and experienced Impact and Evaluation Analyst. Apply here.
- CcHub is hiring a Research Associate. Apply here.
- Apply for the role of a Project Manager at CcHub here.
- Apply for the Design and Digital Marketing School Lagos Program if you want to learn skills in Graphic Design, Product Design, and Digital Marketing for 7 weeks, starting Monday, October 9, 2023. Apply here.
- Are you an MVP-stage impact-driven founder shaping the future of healthcare? Apply for the Halcyon Fellowship by October 21, 2023 here.
- If you are a software engineer, creative designer, product manager, design researcher, or a techie looking for an internship role, please, check out this website.
Have a fun weekend!
Victoria Fakiya for Techpoint Africa.