In March 2022, I shared news about Techpoint Africa being profitable in 2021.
Since then, the global labour market has experienced the highs of the post-pandemic boom — underscored by massive hiring sprees — the lows of The Great Resignation, and the ongoing layoff season.
I feel lucky that despite all these, we’ve been able to hold it all together, with 88% employee retention (no layoffs, just team members moving on) and what is looking like yet another profitable year (I’m sticking my neck out before the audit comes in).
The icing on the cake for me, however, is the fact that today officially makes it 8 years since Techpoint Africa has been in operation. Yes, we’ve been around that long.
- January 2022: Despite post-pandemic blues, and a 2-month delay, we hosted Techpoint Build 2021, to massive turnout. Also hosted Techpoint Awards 2021.
- February 2022: Revived Pitch Friday, a safe space for ridiculously early-stage startups, and started streaming it live in August.
- March 2022: Revived the Techpoint Africa Podcast, expanded to video in July.
- May 2022: (Re)launched human angle series/podcasts, Expert and African, How I Work, Equity Merchants, Emerging Tech Africa, and Everyday People.
- Also in May 2022: Hosted the Techpoint Africa Blockchain Summit, also to massive turnout.
- November 2022: Hosted the first edition of The Fintech Summit, and it was a hit.
- February through August: Grew the team by 40%, in-spite of layoff season.
- February-ish: Rejigged our flagship newsletter, Techpoint Digest, and our subscribers love it.
There are many more milestones and highlights we hit in 2022 but I thought these are worth sharing.
I’m often asked how we manage to be both consistent and profitable and my answer is always “the team”. Sure, I’ll get around to sharing the philosophy and discipline behind it all, but the truth is that none of it would be possible without the passionate team. It really is that simple.
What next in 2023?
I’ll keep this simple. It’s the new year afterall!
We are taking everything we did right in 2022, spanking even more consistency on top, and doubling down.
That means more (focused) newsletter products we think you’d love, more events and conferences, more investigative articles, more helpful articles, more mini documentaries, and most definitely more videos.
We’ll also be experimenting with a lot of things so watch this space.
Thanks for viewing and engaging our content, thanks for subscribing to our newsletters, thanks for purchasing event tickets, and attending. Thanks to our publishing and event partners. Thanks to everyone.
Here’s to a rewarding and fulfilling 2023 for us all!