Demo Africa is back. In its seventh year, the main event will be taking place in Morocco between October 18th – 19th 2018.
As a lead up to the main event, mini-DEMO events (otherwise referred to as the Innovation Tour) were held in 12 African capital cities between June to July 2018.
The Lagos Tour, in partnership with Techpoint and CcHUB, culminated in a pitch event held at CcHUB yesterday, 3rd of July 2018.
The day’s activity
Even though it was intended to be a closed event, the venue still had over 40 attendees who in their respective ways lit up the event.
At exactly noon, everyone was set to listen to the 14 startups that would pitch for a chance to appear at Demo Africa semifinals.
The pitch session was held in two different rounds, each having an equal number of competing startups.
Startups in the first round
- Identity Tech: Identity Tech is an online platform that utilises data analytics in delivering high-quality customer experience to businesses.
- E-estates: a Lagos-based startup that has developed an app to help estate owners better coordinate their affairs and better communicate with residents.
- Gerocare: Gerocare is a Port Harcourt-based platform that provides regular medical doctor visits to the elderly in the comfort of their home as a subscription service.
- Placements: Placements is an online platform that allows job seekers to find paid internship opportunities across Nigeria.
- Accounteer: Accounteer is a smart cloud accounting platform that allows SMEs to create invoices, track expenses and receive online payments.
- Termii helps other businesses stay profitable by driving customer loyalty across multiple marketing channels.
- The Footwear Academy is a service platform engaged in training people interested in the art of making footwear.
Startups in the second round
There was a short break after the first round and the following startups came up right after.
- Kitovu takes an unconventional approach to helping farmers make more money off their farms. It creates market access for farmers using multi-platform compatible mobile applications to link manufacturers and buyers to high-quality produce that are traceable, thus reducing post-harvest losses and wastages while increasing farmers income.
- LegitCar is an online platform that is working to make stolen vehicles difficult to resell, and easy to recover.
- KoloPay is attempting to ease the stress that comes with saving. Its major aim is to help people save money towards planned goals and achieve them at amazing discounts.
- Findworka is an online marketplace for digital services and gigs, where customers find and connect with diverse qualified freelance experts in Africa in the most affordable, timely and secure manner.
- Yaaaga is a digital technology primarily set up to provide users with on-line real-time access to drinks, meals and hotel rooms for either self or third-party anywhere in the world, while taking advantage of huge discounts opportunities on purchases made through the Platform.
- E-pump is a solution that allows users, usually car owners and fuel station owners, to take complete control over every equipment on the filling station. With a proprietary hardware device, they can monitors product movement and ensuring volume integrity from the depot to truck to filling station tank to pump nozzles.
- Bridgebooks is an accounting platform that is providing solutions to SMEs. Bridgebooks makes balancing your books and diving into insights simple, fast, and convenient.
Announcing the winners
Damilola Teidi, CcHUB Director of Innovation, announcing the winners.
Accounteer, E-pump and Termii emerged top three
With final words from Oluseye Soyode Johnson, a past winner of Demo Africa, the event was brought to a close
The three emerging startups will compete with other West African regional winners for a shot at the Demo Africa finale in Morocco. The regional finalists will be announced in August.
Attend Techpoint SME Clinic 2020 and stand a chance to win ₦100,000 (CFA 160,000) for your business. Register now for FREE.
Techpoint is hosting an awards ceremony to reward the most outstanding players in the Nigerian startup ecosystem (2015 – 2020). You can nominate your favourite startups now.
Want more stories like this? Subscribe to the Techpoint Africa Newsletter.