Check out our list of exciting opportunities this week. They include funding for entrepreneurs, training opportunities, hackathon, photography and writing contests, and the list goes on. Dive in and apply for the one(s) you are up for.
2018 VC4A Venture showcase – SERIES A
VC4 Africa is looking for 8 innovative, high-growth startups to showcase at Africa Early Stage Investor Summit on Nov 11-12 in Cape Town. Are you operating in Africa, generating revenue and looking to raise your Series A round in the range of $250K and $5M? This is the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
- An all-expenses-paid trip to Cape Town on Nov 9-16, 2018
- 3 min pitch on the main stage of the Africa Early Stage Investor Summit
- 20 min deep-dive session with investors in a private room, including two days of networking with investors and industry leaders.
- Mentorship and pitch training by partner VC investors
- Opportunity to attend and pitch at partner events AfricaCom and AfricArena.
- Your company is for-profit and registered as an independent legal entity;
- You have a product or service available on the market and generate revenue;
- Your product or service is clearly innovative and/or your business model is new, disruptive and designed for scale;
- You have a very strong management team of at least 3 people;
- Your team is based in one or more countries on the African continent;
- You are seeking Series A investment in the range of $250K – $5M;
- While there will be exceptions, most likely your startup has already received external investment, structured as either debt or equity, or received grants from donor organizations.
How to Apply
The application period is between June 11 – August 20th. Find the application link here.
IGNITE summit 2018
As a build-up to the launch, they will also be hosting IGNITE summit in two states (Benue and Kaduna, on the 6th and 14th of October respectively) in Nigeria. Following the summit, 15 -20 potential women participants will be shortlisted to join an intensive innovation lab in Abuja. The participants will work together in a small group of 3 — 5 people, taken through a facilitates process of design-thinking to create an innovative business solution that simultaneously addresses UN SDGs.
The best team’s innovation will receive a total shared prize of $5000 and other prizes from the US embassy and Inspire Africa, as well as equity investment from participating investors.
- Candidate must be within the age of 20-30 years.
- The idea must be innovative and address any of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The idea must already have a prototype or at the pilot stage.
- Each team must be female-led with a minimum of two female members.
How to Apply
The successful team who meet the requirement will be invited to participate in the next application phase and also attend IGNITE Innovation Lab in Abuja. The application to the summit is open till August 5th, 2018.
Outlier Venture Lab 2018
The business outlier is launching the 2018 edition of outlier venture lab, a startup/SME bootcamp program for early-stage tech-driven startups who are building innovative solutions to challenges across sectors in Nigeria.
- Equity funding of $20,000 and above.
- Three months of tailored business development advisory including training & mentoring.
- Pitching in front of seasoned investors.
- Access to a network of partners and partners for go to market.
- The startup must be early-stage and tech-driven.
- The startup must have an existing product/prototype.
- The startup should be about 12 months in business and have paying customers.
How to Apply
Follow this link to complete the application form before July 30th to qualify for the bootcamp.
Previously featured opportunities still ongoing
- UNICEF Innovation Fund is giving up to $100,000 for drone startups. Find more details here
- Google Impact Challenge Nigeria 2018 for non-profit and social enterprises with game-changing ideas in their communities. See link for the application.
- Seedstars World Startup Competition 2018 is back in Africa to scout for top high growth startups and entrepreneurs to accelerate on the path of global scale. See link for the application.
- Google Launchpad Accelerator Africa is looking for top early-stage African startups to accelerate. Find details here.
- Google is giving $6million to African startups through the Google Impact Challenge. See more details here
Editor’s note: Are you launching any opportunities? Tell us about it by filling this form.
Interested in Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Software Development ethics, entrepreneurship? Sign up now for the Startup SouthWest incubation programme. Deadline: August 30.
Early-stage startup? Get exposure and a chance to win $10,000 at Techpoint Build West Africa. Register now or before October 31, 2018.