This post is a delayed version of our weekly newsletter. If you would like to receive timely summaries like this every week in your email box, you can subscribe here.
On Thursday, the 7th of December 2017, Techpoint will host Fikayo Ogundipe, the CEO of Tolet.com.ng in the final Techpoint AMA Live Session for the year 2017.
Join us on Thursday, 7th of December at 2 PM via Facebook Live video.
How to join in
- Like our Facebook page.
- Go to your Facebook settings (from app or web)
- Find your way down to Notifications
- Click On Facebook
- Scroll down toLive Videos and ensure it is On.
- Facebook will notify you when we start the live broadcast.
- Alternatively, you can save the date to your Google Calendar or subscribe to our website push notification (red bell at the bottom right of this page).
This week on Techpoint
Watch a video version of this newsletter or read on below
Facebook to launch tech hub in Lagos. In what would appear to be a direct jab at Google in the battle for “the next billion“, Facebook has announced plans to train over 50,000 Nigerians in digital skills and also launch a hub in Lagos by 2018.
Lessons from working remotely for the first time. Even though the remote working culture is still in its experimentation phase with Nigerian companies and tech startups, a lot more companies and individuals are becoming open to the concept.
Our guest contributor this week shares his experience working remotely for the first time.
Every weekday at noon (WAT), we feature up and coming startups attempting to break into the market.
This week’s featured startups
- Panacea — access premium books at cheap rates
- Suvenia — create and sell custom designs online
- my-medicines — access healthcare services and order pharmaceutical products online
- Dapper Wedding Hub — plan your wedding on any budget
- Ameclat — purchase tech gadgets online
Why you should register for Pitch Storm at Techpoint Build. Read
Opportunities: Techpoint Build, Bincom free PHP/MYSQL training, Findworka Saucecode Hackathon and other opportunities this week.
Around Africa this week
- Tecno, Infinix and iTel are winning. Transsion Holdings, the company behind Tecno, Infinix and iTel has so far in 2017 outsold everyone in the African mobile phone market. They’re also catching up with Apple, Samsung and Huawei globally Link.
- DStv must pay. The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has called for local regulators to review rules that enable DStv to broadcast three of its channels for free, despite benefiting commercially. Link.
- MEST comes to Lagos and Cape Town. The Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) — a Pan-African entrepreneurial training programme, seed fund and incubator originally based in Ghana — this week launched physical locations in Lagos and Cape Town. Link.
- Purple Capital secures $12.5m funding. The name “Purple Capital” (PC) might not ring a bell but, for anyone familiar with the city of Lagos, “Maryland Mall” might. PC is the real estate company behind the popular mall and they just recently raised $12.5m from Vantage Capital. Link.
From around the world
- Welcome to the ‘half-a-trillion-dollar’ club. Chinese investment company, Tencent has surpassed the $500 billion (HK$3.99) valuation mark to become the first from the region and one of the few in the world to reach this milestone. Link.
- Bitcoin stays winning. Still speaking of insanely high valuations and big monies, Bitcoin shot past the $8,000 mark on Monday, sounds incredulous? See for yourself. Link.
- Uber under fire. Uber is not having a good day. The ridesharing company reportedly concealed a 2016 major data breach and America’s Federal Trade Commission(FTC) is not very happy with the development. Link.
Getting funding is a crucial part of every business and your company can sink or soar depending on the investor(s) you choose to go with. Come learn how to make the get funding for your business and manage your finances this October. Register here.
Hello there! Did you know Techpoint works with some of the most innovative companies on the continent? Want to learn how we can work together with your brand/firm? Email Naomi at [email protected].