This post is a delayed version of our weekly newsletter. If you would like to receive timely summaries like this every week in your email box, you can subscribe here
If you have ever had to fix your car, refrigerator or any other appliance in Nigeria, then you are aware of how unprofessional and unskilled many Nigerian technicians are. Our society lacks skilled technicians so much so that Nigeria still imports expatriates for major and sometimes, minor construction and technical projects.
To deepen the pool of competent technicians in Nigeria, Lagos State government is revamping its 5 technical colleges. But there is still more to be done. Read more.
This Week on Techpoint
Watch a video version of this newsletter or read on below
Jumia Market lays off staff. On Wednesday morning, news broke of the laying off of 78% of the Jumia Market (formerly Kaymu) workforce. According to an official statement from Jumia, the move was intended to facilitate integration into Jumia Mall operations.
Should employers stalk employees and job seekers on social media? There was once a time when it was pretty easy to lead a separate personal and professional life. However today, with social media it has become almost impossible. We explore the morality of this growing trend.
Are online degrees valuable? Online degrees provide an alternative option for African students. But not all MOOC (Massive Open Online courses) available online bring the same value. Read more.
The most loyal customers we neglect. There's a lot that can influence perception of your brand.Yet, “measurement” is more often associated with customers than it is with internal communications.
Every weekday at noon (WAT), we feature up and coming startups attempting to break into the market.
This week's featured
- Bookvendeur — buy books online and get free delivery
- SlateCode — hire software developers in Nigeria
- Spiricoco — buy Nigerian gospel music, sermons, and tickets to christian events
- Kwilist — upload, view car videos before making purchase decision
- TrashorPass — download, review trending songs in Nigeria
In other news...
- Iyin Aboyeji's Flutterwave raises $10 million in Series A funding round.
- Farmcrowdy is the only African startup to make Techstars Atlanta 2017 accelerator programme.
- Startups can apply for interest-free ₦500,000 and mentorship, powered by KBBS & Insidify.
How to track your lost phone. Anyone can lose their phone. But you stand a better chance of finding your phone if you take these necessary precautions before hand.
Techpoint is conducting a survey of tech worker salary satisfaction in Nigeria. Please take just three minutes to fill this anonymous form. Thank you.