Here are opportunities for you again this week. Don't overlook them, see which suits you and make the move to apply.
StartUp Battlefield Africa (Closing Soon)
Knowing that the African continent has fostered innovation and creativity across a broad spectrum of categories, TechCrunch is bringing its Startup Battlefield to Africa. Startup Battlefield is one of the world’s premier startup competitions, with which TechCrunch aims to discover great early stage companies that have created technology to solve problems and develop the ecosystem within the Sub-Saharan Africa. Application ends July 14th, 2017 at 5 pm.
- Exposure -- that comes from pitching -- to the global TechCrunch audience
- $25,000 in no-equity cash plus and
- an all-expense paid trip for two to San Francisco to compete in Battlefield, at TechCrunch’s flagship event, Disrupt SF 2018.
Startups must fit into one of three categories (social good, productivity and utility, gaming and entertainment) to participate. In each category, 5 startups will be selected for the Battlefield Africa in Nairobi.
Apart from clear relevance to one of the three themes, qualifying startups should:
- Be early-stage companies in “launch” stage
- Be a resident of the eligible countries
- Have a fully working product/beta, reasonably close to or in production
- Have received limited press or publicity to date
- Have no known intellectual property conflicts
Interested applicants must apply online.
GSMA Ecosystem Accelerator Innovation Fund ( Closing Soon)
The GSMA Ecosystem Accelerator Innovation Fund (“the Fund”) supports innovative start-ups in emerging markets to achieve sustainable growth and improved socio-economic impact. The Fund is open to projects from start-ups registered and operating in Africa and Asia-Pacific. The funding is between £100,000 and £250,000 and application deadline is July 16th, 2017.
- Establish partnerships with mobile operators and start-ups in order to increase the reach of innovative mobile services.
- Test business models with the greatest potential for growth and impact.
- Get lessons and examples on the ways in which mobile is driving positive socio-economic change. The
- Fund supported by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the Australian Government, the GSMA and its members.
The Fund will run several rounds between 2017 and 2020. For each round, there will be specific areas of focus. The area of focus for the second round (‘Round 2’) are:
- Sharing economy: for mobile-based platforms, products or services which enable low-income citizens in emerging markets to generate income from ‘underutilized assets’ through sharing those assets with their peers.
- Services for SMEs: for mobile-based solutions, products or services designed for micro, small and medium Enterprises (MSMEs) – formal or informal – in emerging markets which unlock improved productivity and growth.
How to apply
Applicants are to submit and justify their requirements for the project to be funded, as well as funding amount and duration. Visit the homepage to apply.
HealthTech Innovation Challenge
Applications are open for HealthTech Innovation Challenge which is a part of Accenture’s broader HealthTech Innovation program. This initiative includes acceleration and venture opportunities, innovation labs and more. The program supports innovative technologies and drives creative solutions to improve the way people access and manage healthcare. The Accenture HealthTech Innovation Challenge is in full swing to recognise early stage start-up businesses that can play a major role in improving the way people around the world manage their health and associated costs.
- The opportunity to identify and engage with cutting-edge startups with a focus on solving healthcare and life sciences problems.
- Network with peers, investors and leading influencers.
- Access to the StartUp Health Festival (invites only) during the JP Morgan Healthcare Investor Conference in San Francisco.
- Media exposure as a partner to the program.
- The opportunity to build deeper relationships with dynamic industry-shapers and industry innovators; including collaboration and co-innovation.
- Practical experience with Accenture’s Innovation Architecture and design-thinking approach.
The application process is open to all companies, regardless of size, provided you meet the following criteria:
- A growth stage company where access to executives at large, established life sciences and health companies is critical to your business.
- A beta product to demonstrate and are prepared to share access to program partners under NDA (and where reasonable for no additional cost).
- If selected as one of the finalists, one can attend the StartUp Health Festival final event in San Francisco on Monday, January 8, 2018, to present your solution.
How to apply
Interested applicants must apply online. For more information, please visit Healthtech Innovation Challenge.
Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation Awards for 2018
The Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation, founded by the Royal Academy of Engineering, is looking for talented sub-Saharan African engineers, from all disciplines, to develop local solutions to challenges in their communities and stand a chance to win £25,000 equity-free, to bring their businesses to the market.
- The Prize selects a shortlist of innovators from across the continent and provides training and mentoring to help turn engineers with incredible ideas into successful entrepreneurs.
- The Prize aims to stimulate, celebrate and reward engineers who have developed innovations that will benefit Africans.
- Crucial commercialisation support is awarded to a shortlist of innovative applicants through a six-month period of training and mentoring.
- Following this period of mentorship, finalists are invited to present at an event held in Africa and a winner is selected to receive £25,000 along with runners-up, who are each awarded £10,000.
How to apply
If you would like to know more or are interested in being involved apply here.
Editor’s note: Are you launching an opportunity? Tell us about it by filling this form.
Techpoint is conducting a survey of tech worker salary satisfaction in Nigeria. Please take just three minutes to fill this anonymous form. Thank you.