Johnson and Johnson’s Africa Innovation Challenge (AIC), an initiative to support Africa’s vibrant and growing innovation ecosystem is now accepting submissions to the AIC 2017 challenge. Individuals and companies that have locally sustainable consumer health solutions can submit their solutions to receive funding and mentorship from Johnson & Johnson.
With its focus on consumer health care, the Africa Innovation Challenge will help tackle important issues impacting local communities. The AIC seeks novel ideas in these health areas:
- Promoting early child development and maternal health in Africa;
- Empowering young women in Africa.
- Improving family well-being in Africa.
“Through the Africa Innovation Challenge, we have the opportunity to support the continent’s top entrepreneurs through mentorship and other resources, and by working together with local talent, to bring forward new solutions to local health care challenges.” – Paul Stoffels, M.D., Executive Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer, Johnson & Johnson.
One or more individuals, teams or companies from Africa are encouraged to make their submissions. Solutions will be evaluated based on their ability to meet the following criteria:
- Solution submission addresses at least one of the three critical health areas mentioned earlier.
- Submission must be innovative and creative.
- Submission must be scalable.
- Submission outlines a commercialization plan and how the award would help the applicant reach a critical milestone within the timeframe of a single year.
Participant(s) with the best solutions will receive up to $100,000 in funding and mentorship from scientists, engineers and researchers in the Johnson & Johnson Consumer Research & Development organization. The winner(s) of the challenge could also receive dedicated space at a lab facility in Africa throughout their product or service development, dependent on the needs of the solution submission.
To apply to the challenge, visit the Africa Innovation Challenge website. The deadline for the submission of applications is 17th January, 2017. Award recipients will be announced in February 2017.
I love telling stories using text, pictures and videos. It’s all about the little details.