Seedstars World is an exclusive seed-stage startup competition focused on emerging markets and fast growing startup scenes. Kicking off this year’s tour on the 13th of May in Maputo, Mozambique, the Seedstars World tour bus is making a detour to Lagos to kick off the regional preliminaries.
Seedstars World Lagos 2016, which is scheduled to hold on August 11th, looks to find the best Nigerian startups that will represent Nigeria, for the fourth consecutive year at the global finals in Switzerland. The 10 best startups from Lagos will be invited to pitch in front of an investment panel and compete to be crowned the most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars World Lagos 2016.
Several influential investors and executives will be coming from Europe, US and Africa to see “another face of Nigeria” as Benjamin Benaim, founding partner of Seedstars, puts it. He believe this will support positively in educating foreign investors/corporate, and ultimately drive the much-needed FDI.
Some of the guests who will be present at the event are;
- Technology Investors such as Charmaine Padayachi, Principal at Omidyar Network (Silicon Valley) or Tidjane Deme Partech Ventures (Europe)
- Executives from companies such as Nasper’s PayU (South Africa/Nigeria), and Orange (Europe/West Africa)
- Omobola Johnson (Former ICT Minister for Nigeria)
- Tayo Oviosu (Founder & CEO @ Pagatech)
- Rasheed Olaoluwa (Former CEO at UBA and MD at BOI)
- Akin Oyebode (Executive secretary @ Lagos Employment Trust Fund)
However, there appears to be much emphasis placed on how special this particular event is; especially as it is targeted at a closed network. This means that application to pitch is strictly by invitation.
How to apply for Seedstars World Lagos
Interested applicants have to apply through an invitation code. Those who don’t have an invitation code can request for one. A team from Seedstars will review the application. Qualified entries will then be invited to complete the full application form.
However, you’d rather not go through the waiting process, Techpoint.ng is giving away invites; startups can use invite code TECHPOINT to apply. However, only 2 of these startups, adjudged to be the best in the following categories will be selected:
- Best Consumer Mobile startup. In partnership with Omidyar Network (the Silicon Valley investor)
- Best FinTech startup. In partnership with Nasper’s PayU (the South Africa media group, owner of DSTV)
Applications are open until midnight of August 4th, while the selected finalists will be announced on Friday 5th of August.
Jan. 18: Bonus Built in Africa episode: Town Hall meeting with Peter Salovey, President of Yale University
On March 25, 2021, Techpoint Africa will be hosting the brightest minds in decentralised finance/crypto at the Digital Currency Summit tagged “Building the money of the future” Click here for more details, registration and sponsorship. Location: Fourpoint by Sheraton, V.I. Lagos.