The Internet.org Innovation Challenge in Africa will support Internet.org’s vision of a connected world. The goal of the Challenge is to recognize individuals and organizations that are working on internet-based solutions to promote education and economic empowerment in countries throughout Africa.
One Innovation Challenge Award prize in the amount of $150,000 will be presented to the app, website or service that the judges determine best meets the needs of each of the two categories:
- Learning/Education: Apps, websites or online services that make use of technology to inspire and deliver learning
- Economic Empowerment: Apps, websites or online services that help to advance the economic strength and ability of communities
Each of the Innovation Challenge Award winners will also be eligible to receive up to $80,000 USD in tools and services from FbStart, a Facebook program designed to help early stage mobile startups build and grow their apps.
Two Impact Award prizes in the amount of $50,000 USD will also be presented to two apps, websites or services designed for each of the two pillars (4 awards total).
- Acceptance of entries starts December 1, 2015. All entries must be received by May 1, 2016. Winners will be announced in September 2016.
- Review the Internet.org Innovation Challenge rules carefully before entering. Download the PDF
- Send a signed copy of the rules to email@example.com in addition to the application on Innovation Challenge official page.
This initiative originally kicked off in India to support the vision of a connected world by recognizing people who are working to make the internet more relevant to women, students, farmers and migrant workers in India.
On the 1st of June, 2019 over 5000 tech experts and enthusiasts will convene at Techpoint Inspired to explore the impact of technologies like AI, robotics, blockchain, cloud computing in solving Africa’s problems. Register now to be a part of it.
Nigerian startups raised $178m from 166 deals in 2018. Find out more when you purchase Techpoint’s Nigerian Startup Funding Report 2018 here.