The Internet.org Innovation Challenge in Africa will support Internet.org’s vision of a connected world. The goal of the Challenge is to recognize individuals and organizations that are working on internet-based solutions to promote education and economic empowerment in countries throughout Africa.
One Innovation Challenge Award prize in the amount of $150,000 will be presented to the app, website or service that the judges determine best meets the needs of each of the two categories:
- Learning/Education: Apps, websites or online services that make use of technology to inspire and deliver learning
- Economic Empowerment: Apps, websites or online services that help to advance the economic strength and ability of communities
Each of the Innovation Challenge Award winners will also be eligible to receive up to $80,000 USD in tools and services from FbStart, a Facebook program designed to help early stage mobile startups build and grow their apps.
Two Impact Award prizes in the amount of $50,000 USD will also be presented to two apps, websites or services designed for each of the two pillars (4 awards total).
- Acceptance of entries starts December 1, 2015. All entries must be received by May 1, 2016. Winners will be announced in September 2016.
- Review the Internet.org Innovation Challenge rules carefully before entering. Download the PDF
- Send a signed copy of the rules to [email protected] in addition to the application on Innovation Challenge official page.
This initiative originally kicked off in India to support the vision of a connected world by recognizing people who are working to make the internet more relevant to women, students, farmers and migrant workers in India.