Looking for an opportunity? Go through this list of available opportunities and be sure to apply for any you are interested in.
StartUp Battlefield Africa
The African continent is rich with diversity – in language, culture, and perspectives – which has fostered innovation and creativity across a broad spectrum of categories. TechCrunch is bringing its experience with Startup Battlefield, one of the world’s premier startup competitions, to Sub-Saharan Africa to discover great early stage companies that have created technology to solve problems and develop the ecosystem within the region. Application ends July 14th, 2017 at 5 pm.
Apart from the exposure that comes from pitching to the global TechCrunch audience, the overall winner will receive $25,000 in no-equity cash plus and an all-expense paid trip for two to San Francisco to compete in Battlefield, at TechCrunch’s flagship event, Disrupt SF 2018.
How do I participate?
Startups must fit into one of three categories (social good, productivity and utility, gaming and entertainment) to participate. Five startups in each category will be selected to join us on stage for the Battlefield Africa in Nairobi.
Apart from clear relevance to one of the three themes, qualifying startups should:
- Be early-stage companies in “launch” stage
- Be a resident of our eligible countries
- Have a fully working product/beta, reasonably close to or in production
- Have received limited press or publicity to date
- Have no known intellectual property conflicts
How to apply
Interested applicants must apply online.
Coding Boot Camp for Girls
The Visiola Foundation are now accepting applications for the intensive 5-Week Coding Boot Camp in Abuja on July 17 – August 19, 2017. There is no participation fee but registration is required and all candidates must take the Aptitude Test. Participants must be available for the entire duration of the boot camp.
You will be taught;
- Graphic Design
- Data Structures
- Mobile App Development
- Presentation Skills
- How to ace job interviews
The application process is open to people who meet the following criteria:
- Must be an African woman aged 17 – 30 years.
- Must have received her primary and secondary education in an African country (certificates to be verified).
- Must be available for the full duration of the boot camp.
- Must register and take the Aptitude Test on July 8, 2017.
How to apply
Apply here and take the aptitude test on July 8, 2017
Open Call for Young Innovators
Nominations are open for The World Summit Awards (WSA) Young Innovators to promote and award innovators under the age of 30, who developed a digital application tackling the UN SDGs. WSA is a nomination-based award system. To apply you need to be nominated by either a WSA National Expert as the best national digital application in one of the 8 categories.
- Government & Citizen Engagement
- Health & Well Being
- Learning & Education
- Environment & Green Energy
- Culture & Tourism
- Smart Settlements & Urbanization
- Business & Commerce
- Inclusion & Empowerment
- Eligible for young citizens of all UN member states, WSA Young Innovators is open to every start-up, social entrepreneur, NGO, student or individual.
- The participation in the WSA Young Innovators is open to any entrepreneur, company, student group or project team – at least one of the founding members and the majority of the team must be under the age of 30 (born on or after January 1, 1987).
- The WSA Young Innovators call is eligible for projects that: developed by young innovators under the age of 30
Offer digital solutions to any of the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Deliver content rich digital solutions to the user including individuals, businesses and organisations
have a strong digital component: websites, apps, sms based solutions, IoT, wearables etc.
are market ready or already launched on the market – no ideas or concepts are eligible
How to apply?
Applications must be submitted online
GSMA Ecosystem Accelerator Innovation Fund ( £100,000 and £250,000)
The GSMA Ecosystem Accelerator Innovation Fund (“the Fund”) supports innovative start-ups in emerging markets to achieve sustainable growth and improved socio-economic impact. The Fund is open to projects from start-ups registered and operating in Africa and Asia-Pacific. The funding is between £100,000 and £250,000 and application deadline is July 16th, 2017.
- Establish partnerships with mobile operators and start-ups in order to increase the reach of innovative mobile services.
- Test business models with the greatest potential for growth and impact.
- Get lessons and examples on the ways in which mobile is driving positive socio-economic change. The
- Fund supported by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the Australian Government, the GSMA and its members.
The Fund will run a number of rounds between 2017 and 2020. For each round, there will be specific areas of focus. The area of focus for the second round (‘Round 2’) are:
- Sharing economy: for mobile-based platforms, products or services which enable low-income citizens in emerging markets to generate income from ‘underutilized assets’ through sharing those assets with their peers.
- Services for SMEs: for mobile-based solutions, products or services designed for micro, small and medium Enterprises (MSMEs) – formal or informal – in emerging markets which unlock improved productivity and growth.
How to apply
Applicants are expected to submit and justify their requirements for the project to be funded, as well as funding amount and duration. Visit the homepage to apply.
Call for Applications by Startpreneurs Accelerator Hub 2017
Startpreneurs is a technology start-up accelerator. Based in the Federal Capital Territory, it is Abuja’s first seed fund and startup accelerator ecosystem that houses the most innovative Nigerian entrepreneurs. Startpreneurs allows entrepreneurs with innovative ideas in different sectors in Nigeria to incubate and raise investment from various sources of finance. In just over one year, our start-ups have raised over $300,000 in investments.
- The acceleration provides access to
- Foreign markets
- Media publicity
- Strategic partnerships
Start-ups can also apply from any sector including Fashion, Agriculture, Transport, Entertainment, Fin-tech, governance etc.
How to apply
Click here to apply. Application opens 24th June 2017 and ends on 31st July 2017.
Editor’s note: Are you launching an opportunity? Tell us about it by filling this form.
Techpoint is conducting a survey of tech worker salary satisfaction in Nigeria. Please take just three minutes to fill this anonymous form. Thank you.
Foreign investments dominate Nigerian startups | Newsbites
On March 25, 2021, Techpoint Africa will be hosting the brightest minds in decentralised finance/crypto at the Digital Currency Summit tagged “Building the money of the future” Click here for more details, registration and sponsorship. Location: Fourpoint by Sheraton, V.I. Lagos.